For all the planning in the world, film shoots can be wild and unpredictable creatures, taunting you to try (just try!) and leash them.
In the case of Quake, each day of the week had a new drama in store for us.
Monday morning: a weather report of showers all week, especially Wednesday and Saturday (our planned shoot days). A little schedule finagling, and we managed to miss a downpour at 6am on Wednesday - first PHEW of the week.
Tuesday - camera issues, caused by the Magic Lantern firmware that we were using on the Canon 5D3. Now, this is one fancy camera (the rental on this one part of the shoot alone was $500), and it was a bit scary to see a problem that could have completely broken the camera. But it didn’t! PHEW!
Wednesday/Thursday - the flu! I get the call on Wednesday night that the wonderful Director of Photography (DP) has the flu and can’t make the shoot. While I’m fairly competent with a fancy camera, and rather good at framing my subjects, I am no match for her mad skillz with manual settings. But things went well, and I did learn a thing or two on Thursday!
Friday - another forecast to make my head spin - 70-100% chance of showers on Saturday. We waited until the last minute (3:30am, I’ll have you know) to make the call. It was clear enough, so we thought ‘let’s try it!’
Saturday - a freezing morning for half-naked dancers, but they were all incredible troopers. We got a bit of drizzle at around 6:45-7am (truth be told, I had no idea what time it was - once I got shooting, I was completely engrossed) and happily, very happily, we arrived back in the cars just as the downpour began. PHEW!
Now to delve into the juicy fun of editing in preparation for my May 7th pre-release…